Ariadne Labs is a joint center for health systems innovation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health. Our goal is to drive scalable solutions for better care at critical moments in people’s lives everywhere. Better care means better health outcomes, lower costs, and more actual caring. Critical means solving health systems failures that have major impact, typically touching people by the millions.
The Science and Technology Platform provides subject matter expertise in three scientific disciplines: Computer science, data science, and implementation and improvement science. The Platform collaborates with teams across the Lab to deliver technology solutions and ensure projects meet high standards for scientific rigor. Under the supervision of the platform manager, the data analyst will be responsible for supporting teams across the Lab with a wide range of data-related activities. These include setting up surveys and other data capture systems, overseeing data collection for research projects, analyzing quantitative data, setting up interactive dashboards, creating data visualizations, and supporting teams with the interpretation of data.
Ideal candidates will have experience working with quantitative data and an interest in applying their skill set to help solve health systems problems. This is an excellent opportunity to apply and strengthen skills in data analysis, data visualization, quantitative methods, and health systems research with flexibility to grow as a technologist, data scientist, researcher, and designer. We’re looking for individuals excited to dive into messy challenges and willing to bring their creative energy to the drawing board.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the critical work of Ariadne Labs by contributing to a wide variety of data-related projects that span data collection, data discovery, data processing, data analysis, and data visualization.
- Build and maintain online surveys with complex branching logic.
- Develop interactive dashboards for research teams to help them see and understand their data.
- Research and document project requirements.
- Clean and prepare datasets for analysis.
- Interpret results, and present analyses clearly in presentations and written reports.
- Support both technical and non-technical collaborators with using and understanding dashboards, reports, and other data analyses.
- Ensure data integrity by adhering to best practices in data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Contribute to Ariadne Labs’ technical infrastructure by supporting the expansion of our data platform and investigating new technologies.
- Develop collegial relationships with collaborators, program leaders, and internal and external stakeholders.
PLEASE NOTE: This position has a term appointment of one year from date of hire with the possibility of extension. This is a hybrid position and this position will be based in Boston, MA. Additional detail pertaining to this position will be discussed during the interview process. All remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, California (exempt staff only), Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, Virginia, and Washington).
PLEASE NOTE: Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a short analysis as part of the selection process.
- 4+ years of relevant experience is required; a combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with data analysis and management support experience is required.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following job-specific skills and competencies are preferred:
- A cover letter is strongly preferred.
- Strong critical thinking skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong grasp of statistics
- Experience using a programming language (Python, R, SQL) for data analysis
- Strong communication and presentation skills and experience working collaboratively
- Works independently and proactively drive projects forward with minimal direction
- Assesses project requirements, ask questions, and effectively navigate ambiguity
- Learns new software systems
- Experience with data visualization and user-centered design
- Experience with statistical software and statistical modeling including linear regression
- Service oriented mindset with a passion for delivering high quality work
- Ability to think creatively and advance outside-the-box solutions
- Interest in health or scientific systems research
The following cultural competencies are also preferred:
- Awareness of and aptitude to appropriately and effectively understand, respect, and adapt to cultural and identity-based difference within group environments
- Knowledge of and commitment to concepts and issues tied to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Skills related to creating and supporting an environment that allows for inclusion, effective intercultural engagement, and personal humility and authenticity
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3-4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12+ paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: Excellent and affordable medical, dental & vision plans, with coverage beginning as of an employee’s start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance & Reimbursement Programs: $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School, discounted options through participating Harvard graduate schools, and reimbursement options for accredited schools outside of Harvard.
- Transportation: 50% discount on MBTA passes, as well as additional options (rideshare, biking, etc.) to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness & Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, hard & soft skills development, career planning, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. Additionally, access to Harvard athletic facilities, libraries, campus events — and many discounts for various cultural and leisure activities throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
- The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health does not provide visa sponsorship, now or in the future, for staff positions.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
- This position has a 90 day orientation and review period. The O&R period will be waived for any internal Harvard employee transfers.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons.
To apply please visit the Harvard Careers Website and search Requisition #61173BR