Ariadne Labs is a joint center for health systems innovation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Our goal is to drive scalable solutions for better care at critical moments in people’s lives everywhere. Better care means better health outcomes, lower costs, and more actual caring. Critical means solving health systems failures that have major impact, typically touching people by the millions. Ariadne Labs currently has research programs in the areas of childbirth, surgery, palliative care, and primary health care.
At Ariadne Labs, the Project Manager is a key member of each of Ariadne Labs’ programs, initiatives and projects, to ensure that the work is delivered with excellence: on time, on budget, on scope, and with a high level of quality. Working in cooperation with a team of subject matter clinical and training experts, and Ariadne Labs’ platform teams, the Project Manager will support the design, scoping and execution of early stage projects targeted at addressing problems in the delivery of healthcare systems, and improving patient outcomes.
Under minimal direction, the Project Manager performs a wide range of activities that vary in scope, including the management of resources (eg., personnel, subcontractors, budgets) in a complex environment, and ensuring that the project is adhering to any necessary protocols, schedules, and plans for any planned research or grant activities. In support of project deliverables, the Project Manager collects relevant data and perspectives, helps to identify high potential options, and integrates their work with other members of the team.
Serious Illness Care Program Overview
The Serious Illness Care Program (SICP) was created by a team of palliative care experts at Ariadne Labs to encourage compassionate and clear conversations between patients and their clinicians regarding what about the goals and values. The goal is for every seriously ill patient to have conversations with their clinicians about their own priorities to inform their future care. Currently, the SICP portfolio consists of 10 projects ranging in scale from a very large, multi-health system collaborative to smaller projects focused on one health system or one technical content area deliverable, such as training curriculum. The focus of the next year for SICP will be to synthesize our learning from current implementations in order to simplify program offerings and increase spread of the conversation guide so that we may reach more patients. There can be change in team assignments throughout the year as the portfolio of work evolves. This position reports to the Strategic Transition Lead, SICP.
Our core values are:
- Respect for the Ariadne Labs mission, our community, each other, and ourselves;
- Stewardship of our work and resources;
- Pursuit of excellence, with a focus on continual improvement;
- A belief in a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to our work;
- A commitment to meaningful diversity and inclusion in our work and in the Ariadne Labs community.
Characteristics of people who thrive at Ariadne are:
- humility about the limits of one’s own expertise and experience
- intellectual curiosity
- attention to detail
- willingness to roll up sleeves to get the job done
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Project planning, including but not limited to: understanding the project objectives, building a project plan (including timelines and deliverables that meet those objectives), revising and updating the tasks, timelines, and deliverables as appropriate and aligned with Ariadne Labs’ standards and protocols
- Managing, tracking, and updating the project budgets in collaboration with the project grant manager and Strategic Transition Lead
- Securing appropriate Ariadne Labs resources and support to ensure project deliverables are completed on time and on budget
- Solving issues and problems as they arise; clearing barriers to success for the team
- Composing and disseminating regular program communications for internal and external audiences, including project reports as appropriate
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with key internal stakeholders, including specialist team members to meet the program’s objectives
- Developing and strengthening collaborative relationships with external parties where appropriate
- Supporting grant writing initiatives to further expand the scope of work and funding
- Ensuring all work is undertaken in compliance with IRB and any other necessary ethics boards in collaboration with the CMO and/or Ariadne’s ethics specialist
- Participate in Project Management-related groups across Ariadne Labs to ensure alignment with and application of Ariadne Labs’ best practices
- Logical and rigorous thinker, able to integrate new information rapidly
- Able to comprehend large amounts of information, draw conclusions, and communicate key findings in a timely manner
- Excellent self-management skills, including ability to work independently and problem solve proactively
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively in team settings with colleagues of varying backgrounds and expertise
- Balances flexibility and assertiveness in the service of project completion and healthy team functioning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including effective participation in meetings and use of multiple communication modalities to foster ongoing coordination among team members spread across various locations
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and drive them to successful completion, preferably in healthcare settings
- Skills to manage up and across
- Creates opportunities for mentoring and coaching more junior employees
- Effective relationship building skills with external partners, clients or customers
- Familiarity with Google Drive (e.g. Google docs, Google Sheets, etc.), Smartsheet, or other project management software tools preferred
- 4+ years of work experience, with at least 2 years of project management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience managing junior team members preferred
- Experience working in a matrix organization/environment preferred
- Experience working in health field a plus
To apply or for more information please click here.