Ariadne Labs is a joint center for health systems innovation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Our goal is to drive scalable solutions for better care at critical moments in people’s lives everywhere. Better care means better health outcomes, lower costs, and more actual caring. Critical means solving health systems failures that have major impact, typically touching people by the millions. Ariadne Labs currently has research programs in the areas of childbirth, surgery, palliative care, and primary health care.
At Ariadne Labs, the Project Manager is a key member of each of Ariadne’s programs, initiatives and projects, to ensure that the work is delivered with excellence: on time, on budget, on scope and with a high level of quality. As a member of the team that makes up the Office of the Executive Director, the Project Manager will work on a portfolio of special projects. Under the direction of Chief Talent Officer, the Project Manager will support the design, scoping and execution of early stage projects targeted at addressing problems in the delivery of healthcare systems, and improving patient outcomes. The Project Manager will have the opportunity to work on projects across the lab, gaining exposure to the breadth of programmatic areas, from maternal and child health, rural home hospital care, serious illness care, vaccine delivery, and safe surgery. In addition, this role will also have the opportunity to work on cross-organizational projects and initiatives in support of Ariadne Labs mission and strategic goals.
Under minimal direction, the Project Manager performs a wide range of activities that vary in scope, including the management of resources (ex., personnel, subcontractors, budgets, proposals) in a complex environment, and ensuring that the project is adhering to any necessary protocols, schedules and plans for any planned research activities. In support of project deliverables, the Project Manager collects relevant data and perspectives, helps to identify high potential options, and integrates their work with other members of the team.
In addition to their role with a specific project team or teams, the Project Manager is expected to be an active member of the Ariadne Labs organization, supporting Ariadne Labs’ mission, participating in the success of Ariadne Labs as a whole, and demonstrating Ariadne Labs’ values on a daily basis.
Our core values are:
- Respect for the Ariadne Labs mission, our community, each other, and ourselves;
- Stewardship of our work and resources;
- Pursuit of excellence, with a focus on continual improvement;
- A belief in a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to our work;
- A commitment to meaningful diversity and inclusion in our work and in the Ariadne Labs community.
Characteristics of people who thrive at Ariadne are:
- humility about the limits of one’s own expertise and experience
- intellectual curiosity
- attention to detail
- willingness to roll up sleeves to get the job done
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Project planning, including but not limited to: understanding the project objectives, building a project plan, (including timelines and deliverables that meet those objectives) revising and updating the tasks, timelines, and deliverables as appropriate
- Managing, tracking, and updating the project budgets in collaboration with the project grant manager
- Identify and communicate with platform managers about the expertise needed to complete deliverables; secure appropriate Ariadne resources and support to ensure project deliverables are completed on time and on budget
- Assist with various project deliverables as needed (e.g. reviewing reports, editing decks, etc.)
- Supporting grant writing initiatives to further expand the scope of work and funding
- Solving issues and problems as they arise; clearing barriers to success for the team
- Contribute to the tracking of data required for Ariadne-wide initiatives
- Composing and disseminating regular program communications for internal and external audiences
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with key internal stakeholders, including specialist team members to meet the program’s objectives
- Developing and strengthening collaborative relationships with external parties where appropriate
- Ensuring all work is undertaken in compliance with IRB and any other necessary ethics boards in collaboration with the CMO and/or Ariadne’s ethics specialist
- Performs other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- 3+ years of relevant experience is required
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following job-specific skills and competencies are preferred:
- 4+ years of professional experience, with at least 2 years of project management experience
- Familiarity with Google Drive (e.g. Google docs, Google Sheets, etc.), Smartsheet, or other project management software tools
- Intakes large amounts of information, draw conclusions, and communicate key findings
- Excellent self-management skills, including working independently and problem solve proactively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including effective participation in meetings
- Manages projects and drives them to successful completion, preferably in healthcare settings
- Skills to manage up and across
- Works collaboratively and effectively in team settings with colleagues of varying backgrounds and expertise
- Creates opportunities for mentoring and coaching more junior employees
- Effective relationship building skills with external partners, clients or customers
The following cultural competencies are also preferred:
- Awareness of and aptitude to appropriately and effectively understand, respect, and adapt to cultural and identity-based difference within group environments
- Knowledge of and commitment to concepts and issues tied to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Skills related to creating and supporting an environment that allows for inclusion, effective intercultural engagement, and personal humility and authenticity
To apply or for more information please visit the Harvard Careers Portal and search Requisition 55703BR.