Ariadne Labs is a joint center for health systems innovation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Our goal is to drive scalable solutions for better care at critical moments in people’s lives everywhere. Better care means better health outcomes, lower costs, and more actual caring. Critical means solving health systems failures that have major impact, typically touching people by the millions. Ariadne Labs currently has research programs in the areas of childbirth, surgery, palliative care, and primary health care.
The Primary Health Care (PHC) Program at Ariadne Labs is a portfolio of multiple interconnected projects, including the PHC Performance Initiative (PHCPI) which aims to catalyze improvement in PHC in low and middle-income countries through more and better measurement, country engagement and effective knowledge management. In addition, the PHC team collaborates with partners in the United States and abroad in Ukraine, Estonia, India, and Costa Rica, among others, to assess country and state-level primary health care systems and design and implement improvement strategies. The PHC portfolio is expanding rapidly, with active work and new partnerships in multiple countries around the globe and throughout the United States.
Under direction from the Assistant Director of Research, the Senior Research Manager will be responsible for direct engagement with partners in multiple countries and in the United States, across multiple PHC portfolio projects, including — but not limited to — the Primary Health Care Performance Initiative, enhanced care management work in Ukraine and Estonia, and new work in primary health care measurement and improvement in the USA and other countries. S/he will be responsible for managing partnerships, direct technical content production and advising to partners across these projects, and the appropriate project planning and strategic guidance, in collaboration with the project managers on the PHC team. The Senior Research Manager will be responsible for the achievement of the strategic goals of these projects, and will oversee a small team of research staff, approximately 2-3 FTEs.
Depending on Covid-related travel restrictions, in the future (when safe), this position may require 15% travel with the possibility of up to 25%.
The candidate must possess strong analytical and organizational skills. He/she must have time management skills and the ability to work independently. S/he must demonstrate excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing. Interpersonal skills are also essential, i.e. an ability to interact effectively with colleagues and partners at all levels (including research and clinical professionals), S/he must demonstrate the ability to proactively identify and improve projects and processes.
Our core values are:
- Respect for the Ariadne Labs mission, our community, each other, and ourselves;
- Stewardship of our work and resources;
- Pursuit of excellence, with a focus on continual improvement;
- A belief in a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to our work;
- A commitment to meaningful diversity and inclusion in our work and in the Ariadne Labs community.
Characteristics of people who thrive at Ariadne are:
- Humility about the limits of one’s own expertise and experience
- Intellectual curiosity
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to roll up sleeves to get the job done
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with the PHC Program Leadership, project managers, and scientific experts to identify priorities and opportunities for PHC workstreams, including PHCPI, Ukraine and Estonia enhanced care management, and other workstreams as needed in order to accomplish strategic goals for each project
- Directly engage and collaborate with partners from other organizations, including government representatives and front-line health workers, from a diverse set of geographies, including both the USA and multiple low- and middle-income countries globally, to provide technical guidance and support in the measurement and improvement of primary health care services.
- Develop customized and contextually-adapted knowledge products and technical assistance support for the measurement and improvement of primary health care services provided by the aforementioned partners globally. Independently lead the development of products and tools.
- Manage and mentor junior research staff, providing direction and timely feedback on deliverables to ensure research and implementation processes and products are high-quality and timely
- Identify procedural or process improvement for achieving team goals or effectively performing team functions
- Utilize appropriate strategies to gain both agreement and commitment from diverse global stakeholders
- Make substantial contributions to the organization and primary health care workstreams by serving as an expert in global knowledge management and health systems
- Represent Ariadne Labs at community, national and global meetings and committees to keep informed on current issues that may affect the primary health care workstreams or Ariadne Labs.
- Monitor and support on-time execution of primary health care workstream activities such as developing frameworks and knowledge products
- Draft and edit manuscripts and other writing for publication or presentation
- Coordinate with Ariadne Labs platform scientists to select appropriate methodologies and assemble project components
- Apply complex research ideas, concepts, and methodologies to the design and development of new products
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with the Google information environment is valuable (e.g. Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Drive, etc.)
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Strong scientific writing skills
- Ability to effectively present ideas and information in a variety of formats to a wide range of audiences, including senior leaders and senior clinicians
- Ability to effectively influence and bring others along in your decision-making process
- Problem-solver who is able to integrate new information quickly
- Ability to comprehend large amounts of information, draw conclusions, and clearly communicate findings and proposed solutions
- Experience interpreting basic descriptive statistics
- Experience with qualitative methods, including interviews and focus group discussions
- Positive, flexible, professional, and a can-do attitude
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to prioritize issues and use sound judgment to recognize when additional consultation and/or help is needed
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at one time
- BA/BS required, preferably in a related field of research study
- Masters or equivalent work experience, preferably MPH
- 5 – 10 years of program management or research coordination experience preferred
- Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in global health and/or primary health care preferred
- Experience in a role requiring leadership and collaboration both within an organization and with external partners, as well as a demonstrated ability to work efficiently and diplomatically as part of a team effort
- Experience with literature searches and/or scientific writing
- Prior experience with manuscripts and/or grant writing and preparation
- Experience managing and mentoring junior team members, both individually and in small teams preferred
- Familiarity with qualitative methods
- Experience conducting and supporting research projects
- Knowledge of standard research methods required
- Strong critical appraisal skills, quantitative skills, effective communication, and exceptional organizational skills are essential
- Experience working in a matrix organization/environment preferred
- Demonstrated success in building consensus among a team
- Experience managing or coaching others
- Interest in health systems research focused on improving care and reducing suffering
- Background in Monitoring and Evaluation preferred
- Experience developing user-centered knowledge products
- Experience facilitating groups and communities of practice
- Embraces Change
- Problem Analysis and Solving
- Pursues Excellence
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Time Management
A writing sample may be requested.
To apply or for more information, click here.