Ariadne Labs is a joint center for health systems innovation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Our goal is to drive scalable solutions for better care at critical moments in people’s lives everywhere. Better care means better health outcomes, lower costs, and more actual caring. Critical means solving health systems failures that have major impact, typically touching people by the millions. Ariadne Labs currently has research programs in the areas of childbirth, surgery, palliative care, and primary health care.
The Science and Technology Platform provides subject matter expertise in three scientific disciplines: Computer science, data science, and implementation and improvement science. The Platform collaborates with teams across the Lab to deliver technology solutions and ensure projects meet high standards for scientific rigor. Under the supervision of the Computer Science platform manager and systems architect, the software engineer will be responsible for supporting the Lab’s suite of technology products while contributing substantially to the development of new tools. This position will work across the full tech stack, designing and developing both front-end and back-end systems, managing data pipelines and cloud infrastructure, and participating in the full software development life cycle.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience working across a breadth of technologies and collaborating with interdisciplinary teams while supporting an important mission. Ideal candidates will have some experience working in software with ambitions to grow as an engineer and an interest in applying their skill set to help solve health systems problems.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with the Science and Technology platform to design and build scalable, resilient, and distributed applications that support the critical work of Ariadne Labs
- Work across the full tech stack including all front-end and back-end systems
- Engage in the software development life cycle through participation in design meetings, development sprints, QA testing, code review, code deployment, application maintenance, and end-user support
- Support the design, implementation, and management of a data sensitive, scalable cloud infrastructure on AWS
- Implement high quality and reusable UI components from UI/UX designs
- Participate in the monitoring, continuous improvement, and automation of test and production systems
- Troubleshoot application bugs and usability issues
- Write detailed documentation covering all systems and code
- Implement and maintain data quality and integrity across programs
- Collaborate cross-functionally with researchers, analysts, program leaders, and other internal and external partners
Required Qualifications and Skills
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- Understanding of Object Oriented and Functional programming paradigms, software design patterns, and data modeling
- Understanding of algorithms and data structures
- Experience with web application frameworks like Angular, React, Vue.js, or Svelte
- Experience with relational databases (SQL) and NoSQL data stores
- Experience creating products that use AWS services (EC2, S3, RDS, or ECS)
- Competency with Linux containers (Docker) and virtual machines
- Ability to assess project requirements, ask questions, and effectively navigate ambiguity
- Ability to work independently and proactively drive projects forward with minimal direction
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Familiarity with scripting languages (bash/python/ruby)
- Experience with reporting/ETL tools
- Competency working within Linux environments and an understanding of best practices in networking and security
- Experience with data visualization and user-centered design
- Interest in health or scientific systems research
Our Core Values:
- Respect for the Ariadne Labs mission, our community, each other, and ourselves
- Stewardship of our work and resources
- Pursuit of excellence, with a focus on continual improvement
- A belief in a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to our work
- A commitment to meaningful diversity and inclusion in our work and in the Ariadne Labs community
If you’re excited about the position but don’t meet all the qualifications listed above, please apply anyway! Ariadne Labs is committed to fostering an environment founded in principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are always looking for candidates who will bring new ideas and a fresh perspective to the organization.
- Please submit both a resume and cover letter when applying. Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a short coding exercise as part of the selection process.
- This position has a term appointment of 1 year from date of hire with the possibility of extension.
- This is a hybrid position and this position will be based in Boston, MA. Additional detail pertaining to this position will be discussed during the interview process. All remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, Virginia, and Washington).
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
- The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health does not provide visa sponsorship, now or in the future, for staff positions.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
- This position has a 90 day orientation and review period.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up to date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
For more information or to apply, please visit the Harvard Careers Portal and search Requisition 63502BR